WELCOME


~ The pieces are all sewn together, stitched with love.........and a quilt tells a story and the story is our past ~

The Arrowood family immigrated from England to Maryland in the 1700's. They went south, eventually settling in the mountains of North Carolina. Later , some went further south, into the Piedmont of North Carolina, in search of work and a better way of life.



I am in search of my family.

I search for those that came before me, and lived their lives as best they could. I am in search of their stories, how they lived, and how they loved.


I shared this love of seeking the past with my Dad, sharing each new finding with him, the thrill in his heart intermingling with mine. I continue this search in his honor, and hope to know these people of ours when I join up with them all in heaven.

~ Steve Lewis Arrowood 1932-2008 ~


Come with me, back to a simpler time and place. A place far removed from the hectic pace of today. To a time when life was hard, but the rewards were great. When your quality of life was determined by your own sweat, your own toil, and your own ingenuity.


Would you like a glass of sweet tea? Let's sit out on the porch where we will catch the sweetly scented breeze of summertime. Maybe Grandma will fry up some of her wonderful chicken... Time slows here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We shape our lives not by what we carry with us, but what we leave behind."

~You live as long as you are remembered.~


"Our most treasured family heirlooms are our sweet family memories. " Author: Unknown


"But those who came before us will teach you. They will teach you from the wisdom of former generations."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Trail To My Roots

I come from a sturdy lot of people. People not afraid of who they are, or where they have been. Not wealthy people, by any standard, but hard working folks. Some would call them "hillbillies", some would call them the "salt of the earth".
Me? I simply call them mine.
I began looking with very little to go on. I knew my great grandparent's names on my father's side and it turned out they were only nicknames...as was the case, often, in rural areas. Names were used and handed down generation after generation until they became more of an endearment than the original name. This searching has become my passion. I am addicted to finding more information about them, who they really were; how they lived, how they loved, and how they died.
The search to know them has been a rewarding one. My search seems to be smiled on by the angels, because I have found whatever I was searching for, fairly easily.
Angels or not, I'd like to think that I am being smiled down on.
Every one of those that have come before me, have left a tiny speck of themselves in me. I want to know each and every one.
Maybe I will find a little more of myself along the way....

I cannot begin to tell you what it has meant to me, to stand at the grave of my fourth great-grand parents. To know they have walked that very same path before. To run my fingers through the grooves that the engraver made, forever etching their names in the stone. I wonder sometimes if I am alone as I visit, or is there a whisper of them in the rustle of the leaves in the trees?

Go ahead, call me a romantic sap. I thrill to the hunt. And the finding, well that is just the icing on the cake. It leaves me with a big smile and a tad emotional.
This is who I am, who I came from, and without them, I would not be here.
For that, I am more than grateful.

If you haven't sought out your ancestors..maybe it is time you did.
 
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Hey my ladybug, this is great. You have done a wonderful job. I wish I had the talent that you have in finding family like this. It brings joy to my heart also just to be able to read about each family member as you add the information. So thankful that we are family. I do wish that both or our dads could be here to see and read this all, but the really wonderful thing is that they both have met the ones that have already gone on before us. Just think of the joy they had in meeting all those that lived way before them. Can you just see the line of family waiting on us on the other side.
    I love you and I love all the music you have chosen.
    Michaelyne Arrowood South

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW Martha, what wonderful memories you have of grandma. I wish sometimes so much that we had lived so much closer to you all, I would have loved to have a Maude gown. What fun to twril around and around in one she made. I have fond memories of her also but not near the ones you and the other grandchildren that grew up around her have. She was a happy lady, one that woujld always try to find the fun in anything and everything. I also know she was a very strong Christian woman, she depended and turned to God with any problems in her life. I miss her laugh and her smile. I miss seeing her and grandpa when I come home for a visit. Doing great work with all these wonderful pages that you are writing information and many memories on. Thanks for this site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to share a painting of Welzia and Isabell Arrowood. Both dressed up in their Sunday best. My husband's grandfather is George Henderson Long, Esther's husband.

    This sure has filled in a lot of gaps for us.

    Thank you,

    Nannette Long

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the comments that I have received so far! I just love hearing from folks. This has been such a wonderful experience for me. If you have information about this family that you would like to share, Please DO SO! Hugs to you and thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete