WELCOME


~ The pieces are all sewn together, stitched with love.........and a quilt tells a story and the story is our past ~

The Arrowood family immigrated from England to Maryland in the 1700's. They went south, eventually settling in the mountains of North Carolina. Later , some went further south, into the Piedmont of North Carolina, in search of work and a better way of life.



I am in search of my family.

I search for those that came before me, and lived their lives as best they could. I am in search of their stories, how they lived, and how they loved.


I shared this love of seeking the past with my Dad, sharing each new finding with him, the thrill in his heart intermingling with mine. I continue this search in his honor, and hope to know these people of ours when I join up with them all in heaven.

~ Steve Lewis Arrowood 1932-2008 ~


Come with me, back to a simpler time and place. A place far removed from the hectic pace of today. To a time when life was hard, but the rewards were great. When your quality of life was determined by your own sweat, your own toil, and your own ingenuity.


Would you like a glass of sweet tea? Let's sit out on the porch where we will catch the sweetly scented breeze of summertime. Maybe Grandma will fry up some of her wonderful chicken... Time slows here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We shape our lives not by what we carry with us, but what we leave behind."

~You live as long as you are remembered.~


"Our most treasured family heirlooms are our sweet family memories. " Author: Unknown


"But those who came before us will teach you. They will teach you from the wisdom of former generations."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Fields of the Wood ~

The Church of God of Prophecy is a Christian denomination with beliefs and principles similar to Pentecostal Holiness Christian faith.

It is one of five Church of God bodies headquartered in Cleveland, Tennessee that descended from a small meeting of believers who gathered at the Barney Creek Meeting House near the Tennessee/North Carolina border in 1886.

The Church of God of Prophecy has congregations and missions in over 130 countries, with a membership of over 1,000,000 In 2006, membership in the United States was 84,762 in 1,871 churches. Ministries of the church include homes for children, bible training institutes, youth camps and ministerial aid. The Church operates Fields of the Wood, a Bible theme park and popular tourist attraction, near Murphy, North Carolina.

I remember Grandma awaiting her trip to the 'Fields of the Woods' with eager anticipation. The church flag was emblazened on her front door for as long as I can remember.

Just seeing it brings back memories for me. She loved her church.

I did not get see the Fields of the Wood park until I reached adulthood. It is located just 13 miles from Ducktown , where my father-in-law, George, went to high school. I cannot tell you the range of emotions that flooded through me as I stood atop the hill of the ten commandments.




I heard Grandma describing it all, in loving detail, as my eyes took it all in.

It was as if she was right there, beside me, telling me all about it, once again.

I can still see her with her dark eyes dancing in the light, as she, smiling broadly, told me how wonderful the sight of those commandments laid out on the hill was.

She was so right. What an awe inspiring sight!

My eyes filled with tears at the thought of being there. It was Grandma's special place and I was there! What a moment that was.


Lo, we heard of it at Ephratah: we found it in the fields of the wood. - Psalm 132:6


"The Church of God movement began over one hundred years ago in the humble hearts of earnest believers in the rural mountains of Cherokee County, North Carolina. Following a miracle-filled revival that took place in a schoolhouse near Camp Creek in 1886, a small congregation formed a Christian Union to pray and study the scriptures."

No comments:

Post a Comment